Return to MyCatholicSource.com
Note: This Page Was Last Updated On 12/3/13
In connection with our site redesign, we are switching to a new style of view / search pages. The following are some pointers regarding these new pages...
* It may be necessary to wait a moment for all elements of the page to appear - please be patient while the page is loading.
* View / search pages may be framed by default. Your browser must support iframes to view content of framed pages. If applicable, it may be possible to view pages without frames (look for link to unframed version). We may provide this option for users' convenience, however we generally do not recommend using unframed pages. To return to framed version of page, look for link at top of page. [Note: Link to unframed version of page may appear in light grey underneath the framed page content (e.g. "To view unframed version..."). Link to framed version of page may appear in light grey towards the top of the page (e.g. "Page not framed?...")]
* If data is truncated, scroll to view all.
* Navigation of content in framed pages may be independent of the main page (e.g. separate scrolling, separate 'jump to top' links).
* View / search pages may now be more integrated, making it possible to search from within view pages. See image below for assistance with view/search page options. [Note: The following is a sample view/search page BEFORE a search. Note that appearance & options may vary among pages.]
* Page options may change after performing a search. See image below for assistance with various options that may appear after a search. [Note: The following is a sample view/search page as it appears AFTER searching. Note that appearance & options may vary among pages.]
* An 'advanced search' option may now be available (where applicable). See image below for assistance with 'advanced search' page options. [Reminder: Appearance & options may vary among pages.]
* Possible causes of a 'no records returned' message: (1) No records match your criteria, (2) You have not entered any criteria in the applicable field(s). To resolve this issue, enter valid criteria and press the search button. [Note: Word order and punctuation are important (example: 'St. Bob' may return results whereas 'Bob St' may return NO results). Also, to INCREASE the number of returned results, try using FEWER word(s)/letters (e.g. Eucharist instead of Holy Eucharist, priest instead of priests).]
* Do NOT use any wildcards in searches unless specifically stated otherwise.
* As indicated above, navigation of content in framed pages may be independent of the main page. If you have difficulty navigating a page, be certain you are using the applicable options. For example, to return to the top of a framed page, use the 'top' link appearing underneath the frame. To return to the top of records in a framed page, use the 'top' link appearing inside the frame. Similarly, use the scrollbars (as applicable) to the right of a frame to scroll up and down within the frame. Use scrollbars to the far right to scroll up and down the entire page.
* Pressing the enter key may perform a search (where applicable).
* Can't locate the search option? Try scrolling to the top of the records or look for a search button/link. [Note: Not all pages have a search option.]
* Search page unresponsive? Possible causes: (1) Page has not fully loaded, (2) Page was interrupted during loading (if so, try reloading the page - e.g. press F5), (3) Search has not yet completed (if so, try waiting a while for search to complete), (4) Required field(s) may have been omitted, (5) Invalid text may have been entered in various field(s). Note: Try looking for validation text, such as appears in the image below, if search is unresponsive after pressing the search button. If validation messages appear, resolve the issue(s) and press the search button. [Note: The following is a sample search page AFTER a search. Note that appearance & options may vary among pages.]
* It may take a moment for searches to complete. Please be patient and do not press buttons again after initiating a search.
* 'Top' link not responsive? 'Top' links inside frames may sometimes appear not to work. In such cases, it may be useful to try another 'top' link (e.g. one appearing outside of the frame) to jump to the top of the page. Please note that these 'top' links appearing inside frames do technically work, but sometimes they may appear not to work (e.g. on pages that fully fit the frame). This is because the navigation is with respect to the frame, not the page itself. This issue is somewhat similar to a standard/unframed page that takes up no more than a single screen. If such a page contained a 'top' link that was pressed, the link would technically work, but the user wouldn't notice anything. In the case of framed pages, there may be no noticeable change after pressing the 'top' link because the content is already at the top of the frame (NOT the page).
* Nothing happens after entering criteria in the 'quick search' field? Please note that it is necessary to click the search button (e.g. button with magnifying glass) after entering criteria in the field in order to initiate a search.
* Page contains errors? It may not have loaded properly. If so, try reloading the page (e.g. press F5). For best results, do not interrupt the page while it is loading.
* A lot of blank space appears at the bottom of an iframe after a search? Please note that iframes sized for view pages are necessary longer than those for search pages. They do not resize after searches.
* Scroll bars may appear on pages horizontally and/or vertically (as applicable). Should these scroll bars be problematic, please let us know [Note: When contacting us, please include the page's URL and indicate the browser you use.]
* Some search tips...
· For best results, omit unnecessary letters/words from search criteria.
· Searches are keyword-based. For best results, it is generally best to NOT enter questions or long phrases. For example, instead of entering 'Who is patron saint for cancer?' simply enter 'cancer' in the appropriate field.
· Unless stated otherwise, searches may be 'exact phrase' searches. Therefore, punctuation, spacing, word order & spelling are important. If punctuation, spacing, word order and spelling do not match EXACTLY, no records may be returned. For example, the criteria 'St. Bob' may return 'St. Bob', but NOT 'Saint Bob', 'St Bob', or 'Bob St.', or 'St. Robert'.
· Where applicable, search results may include text that appears within words (e.g. the criteria 'ill' may return 'ill', 'illness', 'William', etc.).
· Search criteria may be full or partial word(s) (e.g. Sacram, Sacraments, Rosar, Holy Rosary, etc.). [Note: If criteria is set to 'equals', partial words should not be used.]
· Generally speaking, to increase results, try fewer letter(s)/word(s) & try more letters(s)/word(s) for fewer results.
· Unless stated otherwise, do NOT include wildcards in searches.
· If a search is performed without any criteria, all records may be displayed.
· 'Quick search' options may look for criteria appearing in some/all field(s). [Note: 'Quick search' fields on advanced search pages may be similar to 'quick search' fields on view pages. However, there may also be differences. As applicable, consider trying both.]
· For additional search tips, try here
* If search results are not as expected...
· Carefully check all search criteria. Be sure words are spelled correctly, check that criteria has been entered in correct field(s), verify that all required field(s) have been completed, check word order (e.g. St. Bob, NOT Bob, St.), verify that no unnecessary fields are completed, verify that no wildcards have been included, etc.
· Omit unnecessary letters/words/spaces/punctuation from search criteria
· Evaluate/adjust criteria options (e.g. 'contains', 'equals', all conditions vs. any condition, 'NOT' criteria, etc.)
· Verify that search criteria from previous search(es) has been cleared
· Try different keywords
· Try partial or full words (e.g. 'rosar' may find rosary & rosaries, whereas 'rosary' may find just rosary) [Note: If criteria is set to 'equals', partial words should not be used.]
· Generally speaking, try fewer keywords for more results, try more keywords for fewer results
· Consider alternate spellings
· Reconsider abbreviations / punctuation
· Try the 'quick search' option (where applicable)
· Examine the search page for tips / suggestions / etc.
· Try different criteria options (as applicable)
· Try another search page (where applicable)
· It may sometimes be useful to reset the page and re-enter criteria. Be sure page has fully loaded before entering criteria.
· Consider the above search tips
* Reminder: All items herein are subject to change without notice.
Lastly, please contact us if you experience problems with view/search pages or if you have questions / comments / etc. Please be sure to include the URL for the page and indicate which browser you use. Thank you.
Thank you for your support of MyCatholicSource.com!
Copyright © 2013-2018, B.F.S. All rights reserved.